Tuesday, August 13, 2013

HOME FOR SALE: NEAR FABRIC STORE

Claire Kennedy is my inspiration today.  The woman has made sewing into an art form since birth.  She says she used to wake up at night and sew doll clothes.  I would have been raiding the refrigerator for a Neapolitan I had hidden from my little sister.  And I did not become Ben or Jerry.  Drat.  Claire is the goddess of clothing creativity.  Can you say "draping"? 

I grew up with walking distance of Fran's Fabrics.  I even went to junior high with Fran's well-dressed daughter, Candy. 

When trying find our first home, I can remember unconsciously calculating how far I would be from Hancock's Fabrics.  Luckily, we rented a house only 6 blocks away.  Our second home was near some now defunct fabric store on a busy street.  It was OK.  But, our home of 31 years was within walking distance of Stitch 'n Time.  The mother load.  Until it went out of business a long, long time ago. 

About the time my son left for college, Hancock's closed.  Whew!  A near fatal blow.

Where would one buy a spool of thread in my neighborhood now that practically all the fabric stores are gone?  Where would one move to be near the good fabric?  Somehow I don't think Dollar Tree General will meet my needs.  Maybe I should just stay on a strict diet in order to be able to wear my existing clothing for the rest of my life.   

1 comment:

ClaireOKC said...

Thank you for the kudos. As you know I'm just following my passion. And it is a shame all the dressmaking fabric stores that have closed. I like to patronize Helen Enox as they are one of the last locally-owned stores. They are not even close by. :|